You know that feeling when you stumble upon a beautiful garden, inspiring restaurant, a breathtaking piece of art or photograph?? Well, when we were out walking (for exercise), we happened upon the Paul Smith home store in London. This frequently happens when we are out exercising -- I see lots of interesting things, I have to find strategic ways to pause -- drink of water, shoelace untied, falling (I haven't resorted to that yet...), husband catches on to stalling technique, I have limited time to store important notes like location and hours of interesting ____ (fill in blank, restaurant, store, museum). I'm thinking that all this mental energy is burning more calories too?!?
Anyway, needless to say, I had no problem filing away the Paul Smith store and remembering to go back and check it out (now, finding it later on was a little bit tricky, but I'm getting better at just asking for directions especially since I was sans Iphone -- yes, very traumatic.).
It was like being in a museum. But not because you could touch everything. Really like being in someone's home that had really interesting taste. Not too stuffy. Accessible but really special. And everyone was so friendly that worked there. I just wandered around. Combed through the House Beautiful issues from the 1940s. Flipped through books. Lusted after jewelry. Tried out most of the chairs. Relished my complete high. And the gentleman at the store was so kind to send me more information on a few of the chairs that I fell in love with. To just have one of these chairs in a room would make it so special. And the best part is that you can pair these amazing pieces with pieces from anywhere else -- antique store, mass retailer, your parents' attic.
Here's the description of the store from the website -- "9 Albemarle Street is situated in the heart of Mayfair, on the cormer of Albemarle street and Stafford Street, just off Bond st. The shop houses a rich and varied selection of original and unique antiques, objects art and curiosities sourced from around the world. While some are original pieces others are given a new lease of life with a Paul Smith twist." Please, go check it out. Read Paul Smith's blog. And sign up for their newsletter for info re new products and projects at No. 9.
No. 9, and some of its treasures








No comments:
Post a Comment