Today's "Before and After" is one of my favorites and I am really proud of this project. I loved working with my client {and friend!} Dina -- she is fabulous AND has a great blog about weddings in North and South Carolina that I can get lost in for hours and hours!
What I loved most about this project was each piece we picked out {lots of fun emails back and forth!}, the couple days I camped out at her house while they were out of town and put the finishing touches on the project and -- the best part -- a surprise reveal when she came back home!
Let's dig into the details...
The MISSION: Turn an ordinary, slightly odd-shaped, unused space {or what Dina first called -- a "creative energy sucking space"} into a beautiful, modern, inspiring office space.
The BEFORE: The shots below give you a tour of the room from when you enter it and then around each wall of the room. There were a lot of great things about the before space. It was easy to declutter since nothing really had to come off the walls and all "the stuff" was in piles already. I liked the wall color so didn't feel like we needed to change that. The curtains were made by Dina's mom from material she bought on a trip to Thailand so we kept those -- and then had a color already to work around {having a COMPLETELY blank slate can sometimes be hard to work with since there are SOOO many options/ways to go...although that can also be a great and fun challenge!}. We also had the Bourgie Lamp. The great natural light. The french doors. Overall, a nice base to start with.
Welcome!
The carpet was one of the first things to go and made a massive difference.
The desk wasn't really working out in the corner. We had to think of a different layout to maximize the space and take items away from the wall.
A great big space to work with. Do you spot the Bourgie Lamp?! It's so confused about why it's in here...
Yep, another great wall to use. Possibly a hinding place, I mean, place to showcase Dina's husband's diplomas {the office is technically for both of them...}.
Love the view through the French doors.
And the last great large wall -- unfortunately with a light switch smack in the middle. Oh well. We find a solution for that, don't worry.
The PLAN: We started the planning process in early October {finishing at the end of December!} and it started with a video of the space and an amazingly detailed email from Dina about the style she loved, what she hated about the room, what she wanted, what she didn't know what to do with. I wish I could cut and paste the entire email and video into here because I look back at it now and it is sooo Dina! {Don't you love when you can hear someone's voice in their email or letters just like they are there!}
We also had to keep Daisy in mind in the design. She is sooo sweet. But does shed a bit. But clearly by her choice of jewelry she has impeccable taste. {Yes, she posed.}
The STYLE: Basically, Dina cried when Domino magzine shut its doors. And if it was possible I think she might just move into an Anthropologie. Here are a couple of inspiration photos that she sent:
We were going for a modern look, but still usable. Some bright colors and different textures/fabrics in the space. A mix of new pieces with vintage, reupholstered pieces. A hint of Nate Berkus/Kelly Wearstler. Unique accessories. Basically, fun AND functional.
The BUDGET: We were trying to stick to a $3000 budget. Dina had priced out built-ins and those alone would have been $5000 and the space didn't really necessitate that expense for JUST the built-ins. I wanted to be a little creative with some items pricewise but mainly just plan for what was needed to make the space usable and stylish.
The PROCESS: We had a great phone call, signed an agreement and I prepared a timeline for the project. Dina prepared a sketch of the space and sent dimensions. We emailed a lot of ideas {esp. since the project was long distance}. Even before I saw the space in person. I came up with an Excel file to manage the budget and keep us on track. Then an idea board and sketches of the room were prepared. Then I saw the space and we did a little flea marketing together {so fun!!}. Then we texted as the purchasing process ramped up to full force. Then things just started falling into place...
This chair was painted.
Then Benjamin Moore's Flame which was a bit richer and deeper
{Flame on the left; Tangerine Melt on the right}.
All the "stuff" was moved to another room.
The light fixture arrived. And installed!
The floor went in.
The blinds came and were installed. And, the rug came.
The Ikea trip was made.
Some antique market purchases were made at the Georgetown Flea Market {and confirmed via text!}.
And then the "pulling it together" got underway...
The AFTER: I originally was going to be there for the big, exciting reveal {my favorite part!} but their flight from Boston was delayed and it was getting late so instead we asked Dina's husband to video her reaction. It was just the best!! I'll post the video to my website once that is up {hopefully soon!} so you can see it.
Remember the before???
Now, the after!!!
A little tour of the room...
I. THE DESK
And desk chair. Crucial items that we started with.
Bourgie! She feel much more at home here now.
Fun friends on the desk. With the requisite business card but unusual business card holder {from flea market and spray painted white}.
An antique tape dispenser. His trunk still works. And flame orange flower {to hold pins for the bulletin board -- just $2 at Homegoods! Orig. a votive holder}.
Memories of Paris {clipboard from Target}.
Stylish storage for tabs and post-its {Marshalls' one-of-a-kind items}.
The bills have a higher chance of being paid when in here {from Lucketts - check out their website!!}.
Easy access to paint chips, markers, etc. {from Urban Outfitters / on *super sale*}
More paperwork. But stylish, sleek paperwork. {The Container Store}
A place for tear pages and inspiration. {Office Depot / painted BM Flame}
II. THE STORAGE
Introducing Graham & Brown {search for "Plush"}. Lightswitch camouflaged by its own wallpaper! And a place for all the "ugly" stuff {binders, records, etc.} {View from the Desk.}
I love how the rug goes with the wallpaper. Additional light sources from Ikea -- they are perfect!} {Profile View}
Another animal -- just as a knob {Anthropologie}. Daisy doesn't seem to mind.
Some finds from the flea market. And original art.
Stationery samples galore. Easy access. Ready to travel. {Crate & Barrel picnic baskets spraypainted white.}
A "White Thread" and a happy couple. {Busts from Lucketts.}
A little blue. And storage for electronic records. {Vase and rattan balls from Marshalls.}
III. THE CLIENT'S CHAIR
The Chippendale Chair. For conspiring about creative business ideas!
{Aside: I can't believe it used to look like this!}
With its handsome side table {a little blue, from Homegoods}.
And some crafty punches. Ready to use. No need to dig for them.
IV: THE LIGHT
The light fixture. Day.
Night.
V. THE FUNCTIONAL NOOK
Printer. Check. Paper cutter. Check.
Reams of hidden paper clothed in Martha Stewart containers.
A nod to Dina's blog about North and South Carolina weddings!
Place for the phones to charge.
And electrical items to be plugged in. And organized.
VI. RESOURCES
And, finally. More inspiration {magazines and books} at the ready. Spine bookshelves via West Elm. I love seeing the ledge {an Ikea lack bookshelf} we added behind the desk to keep it the desk neat and tidy.
I love the final result!
SOURCES
Desk - Ikea
Desk Chair - West Elm
Bourgie Lamp - YLighting
Rug - Dash & Albert
Business Card Holder and Tape Dispenser - Antique finds
Flower (used for pins! but really a candleholder) - Marshalls
Paris Clipboard - Target
Black and Black/Ivory Boxes - Marshalls/TJ Maxx
Letter Holder - Antique Find
Brass Cans - Urban Outfitters
Black Tray - Ikea
Acrylic File Holder - Container Store
White File Folders and Erasable Tabs - Container Store
Cork and White Boards - Office Depot {painted Flame Orange}
Wallpaper - Graham & Brown {Plush}
White Shelf - Ikea
Bookshelves + Doors - Ikea
Ram Knobs - Anthropologie
Lights - Ikea
Ram Knobs - Anthropologie
Lights - Ikea
Picture Frames - Antique finds
Wire Picnic Baskets - Crate & Barrel Outlet {spraypainted white}
White Thread "Cage" - Homegoods
Busts - Antique Find
Blue Boxes - Container Store
Glass Vase and Rattan Balls - Marshalls
White Shelves - Ikea
Brackets - Urban Outfitters
Chippendale Chair - Antique find
Fabric - Calico Corners
Garden Table - Homegoods
Paris Tray - Antique Find
Chandelier - Overstock
Cart - Antique find
Paper Boxes - Michaels
Shadowbox - Michaels
Outlet Organizers - Container Store
Wall Lamp - Ikea
Spine Bookcases - West Elm




It is SO AMAZING to see this all together. Now that I've had a chance to live with and enjoy the office for a few months, I literally shudder at the sight of what that room used to look like. Nicole you are the best!! You made the whole process so smooth and enjoyable and most of all FUN!
ReplyDeleteMy only problem now is the office looks so fabulous it's making the rest of the house look mediocre. Luckily I know just who to call about that :)
Love this!! And your mom's bathroom! You have an eye!
ReplyDeleteOK, now I'm a big fan! Terrific job. And I love the way you site all your sources. That Paris tray is driving me mad. I NEED it. I'm so look forward to following you!
ReplyDeleteThis room is amazing!!! Love how you share every bit of detail!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jackie!
ReplyDelete